With its beautiful vineyards, farms, and rustic barns, the South African countryside provides a gorgeous setting for weddings with a touch of rustic romance. Barn venues are wildly popular for their charming simplicity and wide open spaces perfect for beautiful décor.
Embrace your venue and create the perfect rustic chic wedding with these barn décor ideas for South African weddings. Mix natural woods, burlap, and lace with elegant florals to craft a unique country wedding aesthetic.
Creating the Barn Venue Canvas
Most barns already come with beautiful exposed wood beams, wooden walls, and an overall rustic feel. Here are some tips for decorating your barn canvas:
- Leave existing wood walls, floors, beams, and doors uncovered for a natural look.
- Add string lights criss-crossed between beams to create ambient lighting. Go for classic Edison bulbs.
- Use burlap, muslin, or lace to drape as backdrops behind the head table or ceremony space.
- Place hay or straw bales around for rustic non-traditional seating.
Rustic Wood Accents
Incorporate natural wooden elements for a cohesive country theme:
- Wooden signage with mason jars for escort cards, bar menus, guest book, etc.
- Slices of wood as chargers or bases for centerpieces
- Tree stump stool seating with cushions
- Small wooden crates to hold floral arrangements
- Arbors, gates or welcome signs made from branches
- Long wooden farm tables for reception seating
Pretty Floral Touches
While sleek florals go well in modern spaces, rustic weddings call for loose, wildflower-inspired arrangements:
- Loose wildflower bouquets for the bridal party
- Flower crowns for the bride & bridesmaids
- Centerpieces in galvanized buckets, watering cans, or crates
- Wreaths on doors and walls
- Scatter petals down the aisle
Work with seasons and opt for flowers like peonies, roses, dahlias, and poppies in spring and summer. In fall and winter use berries, dried grasses, and seasonal foliage.
Fabulous Fairy Lighting
String lights instantly create romance and ambiance on any venue. Use them abundantly at your barn wedding:
- Outline the roof, doors, and windows with them
- Drape them above open seating
- Wrap them around tree trunks or posts
- Use globe string lights hanging from rafters
- Add them to floral displays for a glow
Go for beautiful filament bulbs or classic Edison style lights rather than harsh modern LEDs.
Rustic Tables and Table Settings
Your table decor ties everything together beautifully:
- Opt for uncovered wood tables to complement the venue
- Use burlap, lace, or muslin runners
- Mason jars or tin cans as rustic vase centerpieces
- Mix-matched vintage china patterns for plates
- Fold cloth napkins into flowers
- Use scrabble tile letters as escort cards
Barnyard Photo Ops
Rustic props make fun additions for photos at the reception:
- Hay or straw bales
- Old wagons, trucks, or bicycles
- Saw horses
- Wooden ladders
- Farm crates, barrels, and buckets
- Wheels of cheese and wine
- Blackboards and signs
- Bales of lavender or sunflowers
Take photos in surrounding fields or orchards to capture the countryside. This allows you to get beautiful shots of your gown flowing in the scenery.
Signature Rustic Favors
Delight guests with special country mementos to thank them and add to your décor theme:
- Mini succulents in miniature planter boxes
- Homemade jams, chutneys, or spices in jars
- Individual berry or wildflower posies
- Personalized corked wine or beer bottles
- S’mores kits with crackers, chocolate, and marshmallows
- Honeycomb or beeswax candles
- Miniature pots of lavender or rosemary
With the right mix of flowers, lighting, wood accents, and cozy details, your South African countryside barn wedding will exude romance and rustic elegance. Your guests will be wowed by your unique wedding aesthetic.